Tradedoubler TrackerTM - December 2003
As expected, online sales increased significantly during December in the lead up to Christmas. Most notably, the consumer electronics sector performed above expectation for Tradedoubler customers. Year on year, Christmas online sales volumes have increased by almost 250% indicating that the internet is now a trusted shopping vehicle which offers broad choice and reliability to shoppers.
- Compared with November, the Travel sector saw a decrease in sales:
- The increasing popularity of December Christmas shopping trips abroad has lead to an increase in travel bookings made during November. Sales subsequently dropped in December as the majority of bookings had already been made for this busy travel period
- Tradedoubler expects to see a large increase in sales within the Travel sector during January due to increasingly popular early booking offers for travel throughout 2004 and January sales travel discounts
- Unlike the Travel and Financial Services sectors, Consumer Electronics and Entertainment benefited from ‘Christmas present’ purchases such as digital cameras, books and CDs which lead to increased sales month on month
- Sales in the financial services sector dropped by almost 20% during December as people focused more on spending than on saving, investing or insuring
- Sales volumes for the Christmas period increased year on year by 245% and sales values were up by 158%
- The volume of sales between November and December 2003 increased by 28%, as anticipated, as online Christmas shopping ramped up
- Tradedoubler generated Euro 63 million in sales through the Tradedoubler Network in December 2003
- Tradedoubler noted a 145% increase in sales volumes from 1st November to 1st December
- The peak day for online purchasing was the 8th December when almost 20,000 transactions took place in a single day indicating a last-minute shopping spree to ensure delivery of goods before Christmas
- 19th December produced a dramatic drop in sales as most companies were unable to deliver goods before Christmas by that date
The Tradedoubler TrackerTM is a monthly report detailing online sales volumes and trends across Europe, based on Tradedoubler’s monitoring of sales made through its European network. It is published at the start of each calendar month and the content is based on data assimilated during the previous month.
Founded in 1999, Tradedoubler is the European leader in providing online marketing and sales solutions. Industry leaders all over Europe have partnered with Tradedoubler to work with performance-based marketing and to manage online relationships, in order to increase sales and improve online business. Tradedoubler is headquartered in Sweden with a presence in 13 other markets, and customers include Apple, Dell, John Lewis, Renault and Kelkoo. Please visit www.tradedoubler.com for further information.
T: +44 (0) 20 8834 3460
T: +44 (0) 207 351 9722